Sunday 21 December 2008

Mummy toute seule for Christmas!

Once upon a time, I used to write a diary. For ten years in fact. Then I stopped. But now I am going to be on my own for two weeks, I feel a slight need for company even if, I am just talking to myself.

And also this is for Mummykins. Not that she has anything as twentieth century as a computer, but I can print it out and send it to her. Not that I feel guilty about her being on her own. For those of you who haven't met her, my mum's a blackbird and prefers her own company. Oh and I did buy her a little blonde hamster called Holly, so what more can a girl do.

So. Mr Jenkins and Saul to supper. No parental responsibilities today as they are off to Nonna and her smiling calmness. Harry woke me at ten thirty. I still had my clothes on, but hey! I might have needed to look responsible at an instant's notice. Still wearing my chef's jacket too, but might need to cook something. Guest on the move, she said. Crawl downstairs with head hanging off to find Harry making tea and coffee for Saullie. Check under the table for Mr. J, but he appears to have left. "What time" the children ask me. I don't know. One moment I was looking at the clock and the big hand was on the 6 and the little hand on the three, and before I know it, it's ten thirty and Harry is telling me off for not getting undressed.

Harry happy to make breakfast for guests but demands that I personally make her toast and marmite. Drink tea, swallow neurofen.

111.30 find a plastic beaker of untouched tomato juice. Add vodka. Day brightens up. Feel huge swathes of optimism etc. etc. Children tell me I am disgusting. Saul and I listen to his lecture on Britishness on the computer. Feel that Kings College London students do not know how lucky they are to have Saul lecturing for them. Try working out basic cultural concepts in Czech, don't mention Thai.

16.30 Children and Manzel leave. Do not cry. Saul and I open another bottle. Now is a TEST. Can I work the TV. It always used to be a cutsie-cutsie "God, I'm so cultured and recherchee I can't work the TV". This is my nemesis. Why is it so complicated? Ring Chubbles and get talked through it and Saul and I watch Groundhog Day, which is excellent. I'd like to have the same day over and over, think what it would do for my Hungarian!

I also try and light a fire. Well Kit can do it. There are a lot of flames and then nothing. Timothy has taken all the lighters and having to run out to the kitchen to get a light from the stove not cool.

19.00 Saul leaves to go drinking at the Lamb and Flag. Get a surge of well being. The house is a bordel, but there is no one to care except me. The Radio Times has gone. Also our family telephone directory.

The house is huge and very quiet. At least manzel and monsters not dead on M25 holiday horror crash though. Make bread and re-survey mess. May just watch a French film and leave it until tomorrow.

Is sleeping in library odd? Have switched off central heating except for the library. Feel a bit like that bit in Dr. Zhivago. Fortunately though, no Omar Shariff to complain about mess etc., or say does not want to watch French film.

No comments:

Post a Comment